9.01.2009

Off to Rhode Island...


Well, I should be crawling into bed since I have to be up again in five hours but I thought I'd put up one last post before I leave.

The experience of packing for this trip has taught me something about myself... I am a suitcase girl. Not a carry-on girl. Oh how I would love to be a carry on girl. That effortlessly chic and pulled together woman that throws in simply the necessities; probably a simple pair black heels, a suit, maybe a sleek LBD (that's Little Black Dress to you), a tube of lipstick and some perfume... and that's it. All she requires to look perfect fit's comfortably in the overhead compartment.

I, on the other hand, started the evening with a carry on, a small stack of clothes, and the dream of fitting in the overhead compartment... transitioned to the expanded carry-on which now does not fit in the overhead compartment but still looks respectably small... and ended with my good old suitcase, comfortably filled with a little extra room for goodies to be brought home. I can't help it! I need more than a pair of heels and a tube of lipstick to look chic! Or even respectable... sad. I have hair dryers, shampoo, curlers, hiking shoes, jewelry, jackets, swimsuits, capris, tanks tops, dresses, biscotti (thanks Kirst!)... you name it - it's in there. I live by the old adage: Better Safe than Sorry. I'd rather pack it than wish I had it later.

Sigh... I guess I just need to embrace myself for who I am. Why try to be something I'm not? I'm sure if I were going to deepest, darkest Africa I could manage to pack light but this is Rhode Island, and there will be a wedding to attend... give a girl a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment