3.17.2010

Our First Place...


Brad and I started looking around for an apartment probably about a month ago and before we visited the first one we prayed together in the car that the Lord would give us discernment and that we would know instantly whether the place was right or wrong for us. We didn't want to make a mistake!

We are both drawn to historic buildings, hardwood floors, lots of light, quirky details, and most importantly, safe areas. One after another we visited apartments and scratched them off the list for one reason or another... a couple of times we almost jumped on a unit but were held back for some reason.


One night we went to take a second look at a place we'd been thinking about - it was historic, in a good area, and had CRAZY good views (top floor corner in that picture). But it was also tiny and the rest of the building was pretty run down... still, we needed a second look. Well, we got there only to find out that the apartment had been rented along with every other one bedroom in the building. Brad was crushed.

All that was left were the studio's... should we try that until a one bedroom opens up again? We decided it might be a good idea so we got the paper work, took out $30 each for the credit check, and filled everything out over pizza. Just we were filling it out I got a call from another property manager who had a space that was opening up... two blocks away! He wondered if we would be interested in seeing it. The timing couldn't have been better so we took it as a sign and hauled our hineys over there!

We looked at everything they had available in that building and, though we really liked them, felt like we needed to see more. I glanced at the available units sheet he was holding and asked him what that other building was at the bottom of the page, "Oh, that the Catalina, cute little building... you want to see it?" at this point it was nearly 8pm, "Are you sure you don't mind?" I asked. "Heck no! I've got the keys right here! Hop in my car!" Normally I wouldn't suggest hopping in the cars of strangers but desperate times call for desperate measures! Besides he was a sweet old man!


The second we pulled up I knew. This was our home! It was perfect! Somehow it just resonated with me...


We walked through the front door and I saw the dark wood paneling, then I took a deep breath... it smelled like England. Like an old English B&B. I was falling fast. Up the winding stairs to second floor (of three)... down the short but wide hallway to Apt. #5. He turned the old key in the antique brass lock and the door swung open to reveal the most amazing apartment I could have imagined for us.


It is simply amazing. From the hardwood floors to the quirky turn-of-the-century details it has everything we wanted and more.


It's even in a really nice neighborhood! If we had been trying to buy the place I would have ruined the sale for sure. I stopped myself just short of kissing the leaded glass doors... I did get a little teary eyed... and I maybe have done a small dance in the bedroom... Needless to say we handed him the $60 instead and immediately filled out the paperwork. When he looked at Brad's application he chuckled, "Oh, you guys are fine, you'll be approved no problem." "Why is that?" Brad asked quizzically. "Well, says here you work for that Miles McPherson. The owner of the building goes to that church!" ...Thank you Lord! :)


That was about two weeks ago and now Brad has the keys and is starting to move stuff over. He'll be moving in on the 1st and I'll move in when we get back from the honeymoon... I can't wait! We already bought a darling rug and picked out our couch and that is really all we needed! I have a kitchen table, nightstands, and another little table, Brad has chairs, a bed and a dresser and that's pretty much all we have room for! Hah! He is building a bookcase/ media cabinet for the "living room". Oh man. It's going to be so cute. Every little thing we bring over gets us more excited.


On Sunday we made a little picnic on our new rug. Our first meal in our new apartment! We felt it was a momentous occasion. It will be so much fun when we get everything set up and can invite people over! Yay!!

2 comments:

  1. Julie, Congratulations on your first place! I remember having the same feelings when my husband and I drove up to our first place. Having moved here from the east coast, it's nice to find a place with hardwoods and a little character and charm! I love the rug and chairs. Have fun making it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! We have a lot of cool old places here in Ventura, but they are either teenie tiny, rundown or uber expensive. Sounds like you found the perfect place God intended for you!

    ReplyDelete